Monday 10 November 2008

Harriett Stewart Ancestry Scotland

Hello Sandy, I have run into a roadblock researching my gr-gr-grandmother's parents who were born in Scotland. Her name is Harriett Stewart although my grandmother, who's family was from Lanark, Lanarkshire, said she was really a Stuart. Her marriage to James Brown took place in Canada, in Huron County. Harriet was born in Nova Scotia in 1837-38. She died in Bruce County, Ontario and is buried in the Kincardine Cemetery there. She is listed as a Stewart. All I have to go by is the naming pattern of the children. This indicates that her father was Alexander and her mother was Agnes. I did find an Agnes buried in Southampton Cemetery in Ontario who was born in Scotland in 1807. I also found an Agnes Stewart born 1815 who died 18 Nov 1882 and who's address is Port Elgin, Ontario. Her gravestone says she died of "brokittis" so it isn't surprising that her place of birth is given as 'Skugill, Scotland." I'm assuming this is Skergill but not able to find it or know where it is. My grandmother lived in Port Elgin so it could be the right family.

An Alex Stuart(tenant) emigrated from Kiltearn, Scotland on the ship Sarah with a Mary Stuart (spinster) and Murdo Stuart (9); Donald Stuart (4) Ann Stuart (2) and infant in 1801. I guess it's possible that this could be his parents. I have never seen the name Murdo in ancestrial generations, though.

Another Alex Stewart emigrated on the ship Dove in 1801. Alex is a tenant and he's with Margaret Stewart, spinster. Margaret is a common thread throughout the generations. He was from Athol.

Agnes Stewart is buried in the east half of a plot (159R) and an Alex Angus is buried in the west half on June 21, 1882 at age 68. Alex and his brother Peter Angus owned a sawmill and after Peter returned to Scotland. He sold the mill to James Blanchfield Smith at that time. (also Smithe). A John McNabb said that Peter returned to Scotland after living in Southampton for 35 years. These brothers came from Thurso, in Caithness, on the far north-eastern shore of Scotland. They settled in Bruce County (Southampton) in 1851. I had always suspected that Agnes's last name could be Smith. So it didn't surprise me to see that a Mr. Smithe bought the mill. However, I think that all of these people could be related.

I wondered if you would be able to offer any suggestions as to where I could go next with the research. I think she had a brother Robert, Archibald, Alexander and a sister Mary and maybe Margaret. Early settlers to Bruce were Alexander, Archibald and Moses Stewart. They could be the same ones or at least related. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. Vonnie.

No comments: